essex fire
 

STATIONS

Brush Truck 6-8

Essex Fire Headquarters is located at 11 Saybrook Road, Essex, Connecticut. We moved into this facility in 1999, after the building's completion.

Car 6

Engine 6-5-1

Our clock tower can be seen as you drive by on Saybrook Road or as you get off exit 3 from Rte 9 North. The name "Jennie" on the clock face is in memory of Fire Fighter Jennie Sticht who envisioned a clock there instead of the original luvers. Jennie served as the department secretary from 1991 until 1997. Unfortunately, she succumbed to breast cancer before the building was completed. Her memory lives on through the clock that is dedicated in her honor.

Engine 6-5-2

Engine 6-5-4

House 2 is located at 12 Summitt St. It was built in the late 1940s. It is home to car 6, a supply engine and an attack engine. Our original firehouse, located on the far right of the structure, was built in the fall of 1881. Going by information available in the minutes of past meetings, then known as the Secretary's Log, the station was originally located somewhere on North Main Street, near what is now known as Bushnell Street. It was moved to its present location in the fall of 1898. As far as can be ascertained from our history, the four bays to the left of the original structure were built in the 1930s and 1940s. In 1982, the hose tower, (the peak sticking up from the rear on the right side of the photo) as well as a meeting room and kitchen, was added on to the building. The building was purchased in 2000 and restored to better-than-new condition, preserving the fire department history that it contains. During the restoration process, the Washington Hose emblem was designed into the roof shingles and can be seen between the second and third dormer from the left. A tribute sign was also manufactured and hangs to the left of the front door saying "Essex Fire House 1833-1999."

 

 

 

 

© 2007-2016 Rebecca LaCross.